A gift that reminds me of a friend who owns one of the keys to my heart
“Home is where the heart is” when someone says this I give a thumbs up. So when Indiblogger came up with this contest What's your reason for falling in love with Melbourne, the most livable city in the world? the first person who came to my mind was Chandru, one of my bestie who made it to this enormous island of Australia for his Masters, precisely to ‘MELBOURNE’ about five years ago. What gratifies me is the kind of change the city has brought to his persona which is indeed amazing. Confident, independent, strong and straight out- this for me is nothing less than inspiring. And that would be my first reason to visit Melbourne. It wouldn’t be honest on my part if I would say ‘The Great Ocean Drive’ or “The Melbourne Cricket Ground’ before visiting him. I already have a home at his home in Melbourne you see :-D
"Whoever you are: some evening take a step out of your house, which you know so well. Enormous space is near…"
As Michael Crichton quotes Rilke in ’Travels’, over a period of time and conversations Chandru has shared his life’s precious moments and experiences in Melbourne with all of us, well almost all. So much so that there are instances when we forget about the time zones and oceans in between! The walk down the road to his house or office, the ride back in tram, the new dish he made – well those are the little moments and things which has brought all of his friends closer to Melbourne even before we have realized. We are familiar with the weather and the people as much as the Australians! As a matter of fact ‘A Trip to Melbourne Very Soon’ is in our common itinerary.
These are a few of the thousands of pictures he shares with us every day. The places he has been to, the sunset which brought him a smile, the drive that gave him a high, the ground that let him play, the people he became friends with and the love the place has shown. No travel website or Internet search engines would give us this perspective towards Melbourne. My list of places to visit and things to do is definitely a long and interesting one therefore.
- Some cricket at Melbourne Cricket Ground!
- Some tennis of the Australian Open kind at Rod Laver Arena!
- The much awaited drive on the Great Ocean Road!
- Some worthy time at the streets like the Flinder’s Lane, the gardens, the cathedrals, the museums, the libraries and theatres – all which I have heard about. If I were to name everything, the list shall not hold water for they would be the result of me ‘googling’, frankly in my opinion seeing is experiencing and therefore remembering!
- Some Yarra Valley wine!
- A tram ride!
- A strip club visit!
- A dinner made by Chandru!
- Some falling in love with the city, like how he fell in love with his wife years ago!
- Lots of shopping with Nish, his wife !
- A night full of fun, laughter and conversation!
- And everything else the city of Melbourne has in store to surprise me!
The couple got recently married in India this month...
here is wishing them a Melbourne-licious life ahead!
Love you both from miles across and see you soon :-D
PS: Planning a visit to Melbourne? Here is something to help you and do visit Come Alive in Melbourne
"Which of these places would you want to visit in Melbourne and why?".
And mind you friends, the best answer stands a chance to win a gift voucher. The contest ends on 4th Jan 2015. Do share your thoughts about your dream visit!