BOOKS AND BANGALORE

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mango Bites

Image courtesy-Sweetsweetmangos
Hmm...yummy sight!With the start of summer my mother starts showing her obsession with this edible gold.Today she dragged me out of the house despite the rains, guess why? Only because she had run out of mangoes to eat and well we had to go get them even if the sky fell down.Believe me when I say she can eat the tangiest of the lot!Every night after dinner she is seen relishing on the 'Goratu' [mango seed] like she has never seen a mango before, this is her favorite part of eating the fruit.Her mango eating policy is 'A mango should not be cut or peeled, bite the skin with your teeth, nibble the pulp, let the juice flow down your throat and lick the seed clean with your tongue!'.

I wish I had inherited those taste buds, not that I do not like eating them that way.My favorite is the raw 'Tothapuri'.Give me some salt, some chilly powder and some coconut oil along with it and I will be grateful to you for life!The small wild ones which I used to collect with my Grandma during childhood are also irresistible.I do not know what they are called though.All I know is that the 'Sasive', a special dish my Havyaka folks make with it always does taste awesome.

If there is anything that brings some relief to almost all of us during this season it is the king of fruits.Can you imagine one summer without a mango, impossible right?:-)Ever wondered what makes the fruit so special?Here are some interesting facts:

  • Mango is the most popular fruit of the world.
  • Mango is the National Fruit of India.
  • India is the largest exporter of mangoes.
  • Mangoes are more than fruits.Every part of the mango tree is of some or the other use.They are considered sacred and have a high medicinal value.
  • Dussheri, Mulgoa, Sindhoora, Rasberi, Jehangir, Alphonso,Neelum, Badami, Mallika, Amrapali, Himsagar, Langda, Safeda...a hundred like these are the varieties found here in India.The names are weirdly classy, aren't they?
I could go on but I have a mango waiting for me;-)To know more visit:
If an apple a day keeps a doctor away,a mango a day keeps sunshine with hay.Make use of it.Let me know which one is your favorite by the way:-)

Good night world.

PS: This is my 150th post on A Canary's Diary:-) 

-R.

13 comments:

sush said...

Good and humorous one Raksha. Interesting- Yes here in Doha too we got to see lot of magoes [thailand, malaysia, pakistan etc ones] last week. I have only mangoes and a couple of poor plums left in my fruit bowl.
goratu tinnodralle irodu maja-

sush said...

Good and humorous one Raksha. Interesting- Yes here in Doha too we got to see lot of magoes [thailand, malaysia, pakistan etc ones] last week. I have only mangoes and a couple of poor plums left in my fruit bowl.
goratu tinnodralle irodu maja-

Raghavendra Mutt said...

Thts hw my mom eats too n I hate tht fruit..:-/

raji said...

Your mangoyana brought me drooling.:))I remembered the 'katu'mango variety which I used to relish at my grandmom's place.:))

Bikram said...

I am so jealous.. I hereby would like to say that anyone who posts a post on mangoes should make sure they send a few to me too.. this is not fair making others drool and then having a bucket full urself .. not fair at alll ..

I in uk am still awaiting Imported Mangoes but they are so expensive ONE mangoe is at the cheapest probably a POUND..

I need ot make friends with someone who has a mangoe farm .. :(


Bikram's

@akundimohan said...

Love to eat and fear to purchase.

Deboshree said...

Congrats on 150 posts Raksha! :D Keep it up...

I love mangoes as is and the amazing post you just wrote on them makes me crave for one right now. :D

Anonymous said...

Mouth started to water, feel like eating mango now after reading ur blog. the fruit around 'Goratu' [mango seed] always tastes gud.

Raksha Bhat said...

@sush: Hmmm..eat the best ones this summer:)

@Raghu: HOW CAN YOU HATE MANGOES???

@raji: Hoon katu mavinahanu...dina thintha ide aaanu monne inda:)

@Bikramjit: Haha:)do not look at the cost,treat yourself with one at the least:)

@akundimohan: Yeah...sorry state of affairs..they should make fruits Rs.10 per kg and potato chips Rs.100 per packet...matters of health and other things will be different then:)

@Deboshree: Thanks Debo:)Have a happy mango time this season:)

@U$$$:Hope you ate one:)Yeah the goratu is the fun part...but I am somehow bad at eating it:)

Anonymous said...

i am a crazy fan of mangoes too!!! :D

espicially, the raw ones... they are the best with chill powder and salt mix. :p

and congrats on posting your 150th post! :) that is huge, i'm only at 40 :p

A Sunny Yellow Window said...

I like this post a lot Raksha! Mangoes bring back childhood memories of eating them with my cousins, of summer afternoons and tickled taste glands :))

Raksha Bhat said...

@cooltwins: Hmm..I have company here with the raw ones then...and thank you for the wishes:)

@Ambika: Same here too:)

Beyond Horizon said...

So like me...I love to eat mango in my lunch, if I dont bring the aam rus in my lunch box, my colleague asks me...Hey Where is the mango?

Now you know whether I like mango or apple ;)

Congrats for your 150th post :)